These fun facts about Mexican dishes will leave you surprised
The vibrant, varied, and colorful culture of Mexico is mirrored in its food as well. Mexico is known for its delicious food, drinks, and desserts. Mexican gastronomy is one of the most beloved and famous gastronomies across the world. Learning these fun facts about Mexican gastronomy will make it all the more interesting. So read on!
Fajitas Made An Appearance in The American Restaurants Only in The 1970s
- Fajitas are immensely popular in the USA and have been assimilated by American gastronomy. It may seem that they have been around since forever, but a little digging into history reveals that they become popular only during the 1970s. Mexican cowboys introduced Fajitas in Texas during the 1930s. However, it took another 50 years for Fajitas to become a mainstream dish in American eateries.
In 1973, the first print recipe of Fajitas was published 1973 in the US. In 1975, they first appeared on the menu of Ninfa’s restaurant located in Houston, Texas.
Tamales Are A Super Ancient Dish
- Traditional tamales are made of masa or dough which is steamed or wrapped in corn leaf or banana leaf. Every time we peel the banana skin before eating the tamale, we cannot help but feel that we have been transported back a couple of centuries to the post-classic period when there was no crockery and items like banana skins and corn leaf served as plates.
Our intuition about tamales is not wrong. They are a super ancient dish which according to some historians dates back to 8,000 years ago. Tamales stem from the term ‘tamalii’, which is a phrase of the Nahuatl language. The Nahuatl language was spoken by the Aztecs during the 14th century. Tamalii means wrapped food.
- Current day tamales are made of seasoned minced meat and cornflour which is wrapped and steamed in a maize husk. The next time you eat a delicious tamale, remember that this food has been around for a very very long time.
Mexican Families Can Eat Upto Two Pounds of Tortillas Every Day
- Tortilla is a thin flatbread that is made from maize or wheat flour. Due to its small size and lightweight, most Mexicans usually lose count of how many tortillas they eat during a single sitting. According to some estimates, a Mexican family comprising of 5 – 6 people may eat up to 2 pounds of tortillas every day.
As per the Mayan legend, the first tortilla was made by a peasant who wanted to appease his hungry king. We can only imagine how many tortillas the famished king would have devoured in a single sitting.
Americans Eat More Than 4.5 billion Tacos a Year
- Tacos are one of the most popular Mexican dishes in the US. The extent of their popularity can be estimated from the fact that Americans consume more than 4.5 billion tacos every year. However, Americans cannot beat Mexicans in their love for Tacos. According to sources, Mexicans eat 50 billion tacos each year. The favorite beverage to accompany a Taco is cold beer or Mexican margaritas.
Most popular and traditional tacos have the following ingredients that are wrapped in a tortilla:
- Fried fish
- Pulled pork
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
To try these delicious Mexican dishes which have quite a history associated with them, visit El Pueblito. We are an authentic Mexican eatery located in Clovis, CA. Our restaurant is a collective of amazing people striving to cook delightful Mexican dishes. Call us at 559-298-2068 and book your reservation now.