Here are some of the tastiest and most popular Mexican dishes for you to try
Mexican gastronomy is one of the most popular and richest gastronomies across the world. Its richness and diversity can be attributed to the fact that is a combination of local pre-Hispanic and European ingredients and cooking techniques. Due to its diversity, richness, and amazing quality, UNESCO declared Mexican gastronomy as an Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Mexican chefs commonly use the following four ingredients to create delicious dishes:
- Guajolote (wild turkey)
- Maize (corn)
If you plan to visit a Mexican restaurant, then don’t forget to order the following most sought-after dishes. So let’s read on.
- This is a popular Mexican breakfast that is full of healthy food items to keep you energized throughout the day. The base of Chilaquiles is made from a fried corn tortilla called totopos. The totopos are layered with green hot sauce and adorned with shredded chicken, chorizo, beef, or scrambled eggs. The Chilaquiles are topped with fresh cheese, coriander, and onion rings. It can also be served with fried beans on the side.
A single serving of Chilaquiles has 218 calories.
- Quesadillas is a Mexican snack that has garnered much popularity in other countries as well. Queso is Spanish for cheese. Hence, quesadillas are basically tortilla wraps that are stuffed with cheese. The simplest quesadilla is filled with cheese only, but you can also try it with a stuffing of different vegetables and a chicken, along with cheese. The quesadilla is cooked on a griddle or stove.
Quesadillas are yummy snacks that can be made in a short time. Some people perceive them to be unhealthy as they are flowing with cheese and sour cream which have a high carb and fat content. Eating in moderation and choosing healthier fillings is the key to trying quesadillas. The traditional quesadilla is made from corn but it can also be made from refined flour.
- Tacos were first introduced in the USA in 1905 when Mexican migrants came to the USA looking for jobs. They have now been assimilated into American gastronomy. Tacos are small hand-sized corn or wheat tortilla that is topped with different fillings. The tortilla is folded around the filling and eaten with hands.
The most popular choice for taco fillings are:
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- caramelized onions
- green chiles
- Tamales are a traditional mesoamerican dish that is popular in Latin countries other than Mexico. Tamales are made of masa or dough that is steamed in a corn or banana leaf. The wrapping can be used as a plate to eat on or it can be wasted. Despite having a corn base, they are quite different from quesadillas and tacos.
Tamales consist of the following ingredients:
- A mole is a spicy Mexican sauce made from chillies
- Salsa Roja (spicy red sauce made from ground onions, garlic, chile, salt and pepper)
- Salsa verde (green sauce made from tomatillo and green chilli peppers)
Not only are they super delicious, but they are also quite healthy too. Tamales are a source of healthy micronutrients such as folate, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A, zinc, potassium and iron. Chilli peppers speed up the metabolism.
If you are residing in Clovis, CA or nearby areas, and looking for some authentic Mexican food, then visit El Pueblito. At our restaurant, you will find authentic Mexican cuisine prepared by expert chefs, a variety of Margaritas and a family-friendly atmosphere. Call us at 559 298 2068 for booking or delivery.